The leading, family owned, industrial gas and welding supplier in Chicago-land area
Terrace Supply Company began in 1947 as Elmhurst Welding Supply when James A Myers began
selling compressed gases and welding supplies out of his house in Elmhurst, IL. He and his wife
Gertrude moved the business into a small storefront in 1949 and with the expanding business came the
need for a counterman and Ric Lichtenheld was hired for the position!
In 1954 the business moved into their own building in Villa Park and the name changed to Terrace
Supply Company. "Terrace' was the phone exchange at the time! In 1960 a second location in Mount Prospect was opened.
Ric purchased the business from Jim in 1965 and became its second president. His wife Greta
followed in her mother's footsteps and served as bookkeeper, secretary, and treasurer! Ric hired Jim's
son Walt Myers around this time to help with sales and the technical aspects of the business.
In 1977 Terrace Supply Company built the current 18,000 square foot Villa Park showroom, gas fill plant, and
warehouse and Walt Myers took over as the third President of the company.
One year later, Ric's son, Gary Lichtenheld, joined the Terrace team in Sales and Management.
Over the next 10 years the customer base continued to grow and the need for a third location became
apparent so the Schaumburg store opened in 1989.
In 1996 we outgrew the Mount Prospect location and moved to a building in Wheeling.
In 2013 a state of the art fill plant and HQ was built.
Since then the Wheeling and Schaumburg facilities have been consolidated into the new Itasca facility.
In 1997 Gary Lichtenheld became Terrace Supply Company's fourth and current President. His son
Steve Lichtenheld, joined the company in 2006 in Sales and is now the Vice President Gary's 2nd son
Brad Lichtenheld joined Terrace in 2009 and is now the Vice President of Sales,